Thursday, December 08, 2005

Dinner at Andrea's

Someday, I am going to get Andrea to teach me how to make pasta from scratch and the perfect pizza crust, but for now, I have had the immense pleasure of trying his 'stuffed' sardines and the divine pasta sauce with the local shellfish and cherry tomatoes.

It's true, I should have thought about taking some pictures BEFORE we ate all the food, but obviously, when surrounded by the intoxicating mixture of garlic, parsley and parmessano cheese, my mind (and body) was inclined to keep vigilence near the food rather than risking losing my food to the guys.

This is the detective work I did while helping (investigating) Andrea prepare for the feast:

Pasta with Local Shellfish (Galeras) and cherry tomatoes:
Sauce: cut shellfish into 2-inch segments, fry with heated olive oil and crushed garlic. While waiting for the tails to turn into a deep shade of dark pink, half the cherry tomatoes and throw them into the mixture. 'Help' the tomatoes by gently pushing them against the side of the pan until pulpy. Ready in 5 to 8 minutes, add chopped parley and salt before turning off the stove.

'Stuffed' Sardines:
I keep on using quotation marks for the 'stuffed' part because somehow, I feel something that is 'stuffed' has to be 3 dimensional. Andrea's delicious sardines were thoughtfully filleted sardines (done by the maestro himself), and 'topped' with the stuffing, so the end result looks like a thin stack of heaven. After laying the dried and filleted sardines on a covered baking sheet, he smoothed the stuffing on top of each fillet.

The stuffing:
grated parmessano, moist old bread, chopped parsley with half a clove of minced garlic, mix all the ingredients together to a mass of 'dough', divide and spread on top of the fillet.

Since I was overly concerned with the arrival of the actual EATING part, I failed as a journalist as well as a sou-chef to note the important details, such as the amount of time and the degree of the oven. So I will take an educated guess that it should go in around 190 to 200 Celcius for about 10 minutes, or until the topping/stuffing turns golden.

Our friend José, brought over the most wonderful array of desserts to share. I plan to visit this amazing bakery with desserts from 3 Michelin stars restaurants at my earliest opportunity. I believe the bakery is called Dolsos, and is located on Carrer València, for those of you who live in town. There were three types of cakes for all of us (imagine a big smile on my face): tiramisu (but I mean, TIRAMISU, not just some wet, soggy sponge cake that most restaurants call tiramisu), a close version of Sacher, with rasberry filling, and a divine (I should really stop using that word so frequently with food) triple-textured chocolate cake with crystallized hazelnut cream. Thank you, God, and thank you, José!


The happy quintet after three bottles of cava, white AND red wine (and fancy sparkly water for me :)


Andrea, discussing the fine art of brining freshly picked olives from Cadaques


Alfred :) looking and acting much like Mr. Bean


Consequently, Andrea is a double bass player from Nabí´s orchestra, so here is his sleeping beauty, resting peacefully.

No comments: