Sunday, January 15, 2006

Concert in Alcoi (Alcoy)

Happy belated birthday to Nabí! I couldn´t be here with him on his birthday, but I played my cadenza with him in mind :)

I´m in the midst of a project where there is a series of concerts around this part of Spain. Yesterday we started the first. The ride down from Barcelona to Alacant (Alicante in Spanish) was absolutely stunning. If anyone ever plans to travel around Spain, I would highly recommend this stretch of travel to be taken on the train. The ocean accompanies you all the way down to Alacant, and because we left early, the sun made the sparkles on the Mediterranean Sea dance, absolutely mesmerizing. The train journey was about 4 to 5 hours, due to a very organized director and manager of the project, we were immediately picked by a bus and taken to our hotel by the port in Alacant, once again, the rooms were accompanied by the sparkles on the water :)

The busdriver has failed to look up the places where we were supposed to play, so we drove around the wrong town for a while, and arrived half an hour before the hall opened, very little sound check, and absolutely no run-through or warm-up of any sort. We played the 3rd, 4th and the 5th Brandenburg concerto, and we were lucky to have a full house with very enthusiastic feedbacks from the audience. On the way back, the busdriver managed to back into a tree...(sigh), and we arrived back to our hotel around 1:30am.

This morning, all of us dutifully got up at 7:30 and met downstairs at 8. While I was on my best behavior when it comes to organization, always the first to be downstairs, always ready to help, after the busdriver has closed the luggage compartment, I quietly jumped off the bus and went back to the lobby to pick up the only thing I had to keep track, since I didn´t have to transport my own instrument...

I had managed to leave my one and only tiny little suitcase in the lobby (Amanda, if you read this...no need to comment on the music incidences before concerts, please), although I tried to keep it discreet, but I was applauded by the whole bus upon my return...
(sigh)

a very brief sound check

ceiling in the performance hall

view from the hotel lobby (Hotel Porta Maris in Alicante)

my trustworthy pageturner-violist, Diana


views from my hotel room in Alacant (Alicante)

1 comment:

hermitide said...

~blushing~ :)