Saturday, November 12, 2005

It's Not All Roses and Candies

I think I may have been disillusioning my friends and families from afar in how 'rosy' life may be here in Spain, or in fact, Europe in general. I took this photo today on my way out to the grocery store, this is directly outside our front door. It doesn't matter how many times the city sends its trucks, there are always people looking into the bins and taking things out, AND NOT PUTTING THEM BACK!!! Clearly there are poor people hoping to find gold in the garbage containers, but I have seen normal looking citizens poking their heads in the bins on a regular basis. If you can just let your imagination run a little, imagine the Mediterranean heat in the summer and the explosion of city waste from these bins...


The following photo was taken a few months ago, this is one of the SIDES of our house.


This mysterious sight of a torched car stayed on our street half a block away from our house for more than a month, and was reported to the police over and over again, but the city never came to pick it up.

2 comments:

it's a lifestyle... said...

It's a custom leaving things that can be reused next to the bin. Why pay for something that you can get for free? My few favourite jumpers are from bins in Barcelona... :-)

Say 'Hola' to Barna from me!

//Chr.

hermitide said...

Hello Chr. :)
thanks for visiting. I love Sweden, and particularly Stockholm. I have noticed the streets in Stockholm are pretty clean. I don't mind people leaving clean things neatly by the trash, I too, 'recycle' other people's used goods ;-) however, when dogs pee and do their business all over the 'goods', nobody is likely to pick it up...

there are also second hand stores and thrift stores in other countries, here in Barcelona, they don't seem to be too popular.

enjoy your favorite jumpers!

Cheers, Herms