Monday, November 14, 2005

Salvia Discolor





after a relentless day of rain yesterday, I snuck out to take a few photos during the ´dry spell´ today...

this is one of my most treasured babies from three years ago, my friend Gerard took me to a ´Sage Exhibition´ near Maastricht, and here it is today!! I wish I had taken a picture of its baby stage (mere a few inches tall) and the mature babe it is today :)

The foliage is textured and a bit furry, with a mild, pineapple scent. The stems are strong and sticky. The shade of the flowers is a dark metallic indigo, which borders black. It is plain beautiful, one of my all time favorite plants in the garden.

It is not as easy to propogate as the ordinary kitchen sage, out of 10 attempts, perhaps 3 will take root if lucky. If anyone is interested in some, please let me know, I will try to raise some more :)

No comments: