Wednesday, November 07, 2007

A Sense of Direction? I think not.

Well, the dreaded written test for my driver's license was today. N asked me how I felt, well, I always feel pretty good up until when the result comes out...

If getting up at 6am to sit in the traffic with a 6-month old to take a test which most likely will need to be re-taken again wasn't exciting enough - it DOES get better:

After N drops himself off at Auditori, the plan was for me to drive home with Mia alone. I've never done this before, and was kind of nervous about it. It's not just driving with her, but driving in the city makes me very nervous. I figured I had to start someday, so I did. N reassured me that it was a short ride, and I believe him...since it's the same ride where I go to work and back. If truth be told, I don't have ANY sense of direction whatsoever, I mean NONE! In the city, I get around by foot with remembering which Zara is on the corner, next to which Mango, but in a car, I'm pretty screwed. So, while I was busy exhaling and trying to look nonchalant, I missed my exit onto B-20 (for those of you who live nearby). Of course, I wasn't exactly sure I missed it, so the only thing I could do was keep going. Here is something I learned today: you can't just get off and turn around, like in the US. What happens is, you keep going, and it splits into more highways. If you get off, it's either going to take you onto another highway, or it takes you into a labyrinth-like urban area (let's just pretend I did NOT see signs for Cerdanyola, Montcada or Sabadell), oh wait, what do we have here? signs for Girona and FRANCE!!!!!

I thought about calling N for help, but I couldn't find a place to stop, I just kept on looping around ribbons of highways, one loop after another loop. Eventually, I figured out how to get off (after being honked by a big semitruck), and miraculously found my way back. There must have been a guardian angel nearby to keep Mia asleep, otherwise I think I would have literally died of a heart attack. It's a good thing I wasn't taking my practical driving exam today. I don't think the examiner would have enjoyed the excursion to Southern France (N. Catalunya)...

No comments: