Friday, November 09, 2007

ups and downs

Incidentally, I failed my written exam, again. It's my third attempt, and frankly, I don't think even I can continue without shame. Apparently, the result was very poor; N didn't have the heart to tell me how many I missed. Oh well, I'm only mourning for the lost sleep and the long wait in the traffic, right, and the 75 euros they charge with each time they fail you.

On a happier note, I got a letter in the mail today. In fact, I got two pieces of mail this week, and it's the small things in life which make it worthwhile (and NOT the driving written exam). When I asked for comments a few entries back, I never expected to receive a 3-page 'PAPER' response. Thank you, Jenny. Mia and I read it on the way back from the post office, and I thought it deserveed another reading (as most of your letters do), so I went around the block to sit in the park, but then I couldn't find peace there due to some other people, so I just walked around and around until I finished reading it 3 times. A real letter deserves a real response, so , I will just thank you for now, but will write a proper response, as we used to do in another lifetime. I miss you, JL.The thing about going to the post office everyday to pick up mail is, that it gives me a sense of triumph when there is mail. If not, I just look like a fool going into an office, and walking right out empty handed. But, getting a lovely package (thank you, Mandy), or a warm letter (thank you, Jenny), that's not just triumph, it's more like winning the LOTTERY! Have you noticed that people use stamps less and less now? It's always those printed, impersonal looking stickers nowadays. I love these:
On a complete different note, let's say 'Re' (sorry, bad musician joke...I'm tired):
my father in-law, Enric, picked these from Montseny, and I made my first batch without the pan-with-holes. These were made in the oven because we don't have a gas stove. Here's the recipe I used for those of you who are lucky enough to be able to pick them fresh:
don't they spell autumn for you?

No comments: